Narragansett Bay Commission Honors Twenty Organizations for Environmental Achievement
On April 17, the Narragansett Bay Commission (NBC) honored twenty local businesses at the NBC’s twenty-fourth annual Environmental Merit Awards ceremony. Each year, NBC recognizes those companies among its 1500 permitted users who have achieved perfect regulatory compliance and outstanding pollution prevention in the previous year.
The Narragansett Bay Commission’s Pretreatment Program is one of the most successful in the United States. In 1991 and 1998, the program was named Best in the US by the US Environmental Protection Agency. In 2009, the NBC’s program received the Excellence in Pretreatment Award from USEPA for Region 1. In 2018, 27% of NBC’s significant industrial customers achieved perfect compliance with their NBC discharge permits, one of the highest compliance rates in the nation.
The NBC also honors Ricci Family Dentistry with a Pollution Prevention Award for their success in reducing dental amalgam and conserving water at their Providence office.
NBC Chairman Vincent J. Mesolella explains the importance of these awards, “Being perfect isn’t easy, and the Narragansett Bay Commission appreciates extra efforts that these organizations make to protect our urban rivers and Narragansett Bay. Ultimately their hard work makes Rhode Island a better place for us all.”
2018 Perfect Compliance Award Winners
- Dominion Energy Manchester Street, Inc.
- Electrolizing, Inc.
- Godfrey & Wing Inc. dba Impco
- HP Services
- Interplex Engineered Products, Inc.
- Maroon Group LLC dba Lincoln Fine Ingredients
- Materion Technical Materials, Inc.
- Metallurgical Solutions, Inc.
- Narragansett Jewelry dba C&J Jewelry Company
- Pawtucket Power Associates
- Providence Journal Co. - Production Facility
- Providence Metallizing Company, Inc.
- Tanury Industries, PVD, Inc.
- Technodic, Inc.
- Teknicote, Inc.
- Teknor Apex Company
- Tiffany and Company
- Truex, Inc.
- Univar USA, Inc.